[R] Help with R

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Mon Nov 21 17:38:45 CET 2016

To go further with your teacher's code, I would start by finding out what
kind of object "map" is, in R terms. For example, can your teacher give
you the output from the commands:
  class(map)
  str(map)
?

Without that information, I don't think anyone here can give you effective
help.

Also, as one if the others mentioned, R-sig-geo would be a better place to
ask, when you come back with that information. (And mention up front that
this is not homework, to avoid getting that advice again. Folks will
appreciate it.)

As a general rule, loading images, such as a png file, may or may not
result in an object with correct map coordinates; it depends on the
incoming file.

You could also go back to the CRAN webpage, click on "Task Views" on the
left, then click on "Spatial". There is a LOT of material there. The first
two packages to look at, from my perspective, would be sp and rgdal
(especially if you're going to be doing a lot of serious spatial work in
R) but there are plenty of others that could be relevant for your
particular needs. See also the raster package if your starting point is
really going to be an image such as a png file.

-Don

--
Don MacQueen

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory