[R] Presenting Hazard ratios for interacting variables in a Cox model

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Nov 21 20:59:45 CET 2016

> On Nov 21, 2016, at 4:21 AM, Stuart Patterson <stuartjpatterson at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear David,
> Thank you for your reply. Your suggestions on how better to write the command are very useful, and I can see how the simplification would help. I hadn't realised that the lower order variables would be included if I simply wrote in teh interaction terms. Thank you
>
> The table below is how I feel that I ought to present my results. If anyone has any suggestions on how to obtain these values I would be very grateful!

You should be able to fill in the first empty column using the results of coef(model) and

expand.grid( Year=levels(Year), Prev_TB=levels(Prev_TB), Age=levels(Age) )

 Calculating the CI's by hand would require knowing the covariance matrix and you should be able to get the needed components from vcov(model). I wondered if using the confint function would be a more economical approach, however, when I look at the code of confint.default, it does not appear that it would handle contrasts involving interactions terms in a manner that I would think was totally correct. It appears to ignore the off-diagonal elements of the vcov matrix. Perhaps using the confint function in the multcomp package would yield more correct estimates. It's documented as "averaging over the interactions", however the code  appears to use only the diagonal elements as well.

I think the "right way" is outlined by Dalgaard and Laviolette in a recent Rhelp thread:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2016-August/440879.html

You would set up the D matrix to represent levels in the grid of values to match the contrasts being considered. I did find a phia package that might automate this process, but I don't have experience with it.

Your table is probably only readable by me. The rest of the Rhelp world got a single column because you posting in HTML. Do learn the post to Rhelp in plain text.

I dropped it into OpenOffice.org, saved as csv/txt, and read it into R:

> read.csv("~/Documents/Untitled 1.csv")
    Variable        X          X.1 HRs ci.95. p.Value
1       Year Prev. TB          Age
2  2002-2005       No  < 24 months
3                     24-48 months
4                       >48 months
5                 Yes  < 24 months
6                     24-48 months
7                       >48 months
8  2006-2010       No  < 24 months
9                     24-48 months
10                      >48 months
11                Yes  < 24 months
12                    24-48 months   a      b       c
13                      >48 months
14 2011-2015       No  < 24 months
15                    24-48 months
16                      >48 months