[R] Unexpected interference between dplyr and plm

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 15:52:47 CET 2016

Hi,

It shouldn't be entirely unexpected: when I load dplyr, I get a series
of messages telling me that certain functions are masked.

The following object is masked from ‘package:plm’:

    between

The following objects are masked from ‘package:stats’:

    filter, lag

The following objects are masked from ‘package:base’:

    intersect, setdiff, setequal, union

You can see the search path that R uses when looking for a function or
other object here:

In your example, it should look like this:

> search()
 [1] ".GlobalEnv"        "package:dplyr"     "package:plm"
"package:Formula"
 [5] "package:stats"     "package:graphics"  "package:grDevices"
"package:utils"
 [9] "package:datasets"  "package:vimcom"    "package:setwidth"
"package:colorout"
[13] "package:methods"   "Autoloads"         "package:base"

So R is searching the local environment, then dplyr, and then farther
down the list, stats, which is where the lag function comes from (see
above warning).

Once you know where the desired function comes from you can specify
its namespace:

summary(plm(y~lagx, data = df, index = c("i", "t")))
summary(plm(y~stats::lag(x, 1), data = df, index = c("i", "t")))

If you weren't paying attention to the warning messages at package
load, you can also use the getAnywhere function to find out:

> getAnywhere(lag)
2 differing objects matching ‘lag’ were found
in the following places
  package:dplyr
  package:stats
  namespace:dplyr