[R] Problem installing rgdal.

Bob Rudis bob at rud.is
Wed Oct 5 03:12:31 CEST 2016

​Hey Ron,

I (literally, in the correct use of the term) fired up an Ubuntu 16.04
vagrant box - https://atlas.hashicorp.com/bento/boxes/ubuntu-16.04 - and
then did:

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial

and, then:

sudo echo "deb http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/linux/ubuntu xenial/" | sudo tee
-a /etc/apt/sources.list
gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key E084DAB9
gpg -a --export E084DAB9 | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-dev
sudo apt-get install libgdal-dev
sudo apt-get install libproj4-dev

and then did

install.packages("rgdal")

in an R session and it's working fine:

> library(rgdal)
rgdal: version: 1.1-10, (SVN revision 622)
 Geospatial Data Abstraction Library extensions to R successfully loaded
 Loaded GDAL runtime: GDAL 1.11.3, released 2015/09/16
 Path to GDAL shared files: /usr/share/gdal/1.11
 Loaded PROJ.4 runtime: Rel. 4.9.2, 08 September 2015, [PJ_VERSION: 492]
 Path to PROJ.4 shared files: (autodetected)
 Linking to sp version: 1.2-3

I wish I could have run into errors and helped debug your issue, but it
went in flawlessly.

-Bob
​