[R] (no subject)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Oct 7 06:30:42 CEST 2016

> On Oct 6, 2016, at 4:22 PM, Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
>
> The OP sent a separate email which was slightly less obscure. Taken together with this email, they suggest more a lack of familiarity with the concept of an email thread and with the time scale and features of email support, rather than a presumption of mind reading skills. One can hope that careful reading of the Posting Guide and referenced materials by the OP will correct this deficiency.
>
> I will admit to considering a fortune nomination at first reading though.

Sigh.

As a moderator of "non-subscriber postings", I initially rejected a posting from this email address 2 days ago with advice to read the Posting Guide and re-post with a more complete request and to avoid using HTML. So far, I have not seen a responsive effort to respond to that advice.

The advice we moderators follow is to use a very liberal filter for what should be posted, but this poster does seem to be a challenge to that interpretation.

Perhaps we should be referring some of these poorly documented postings to StackOverflow at the moderations event? What say you, members of the esteemed audience?

--
David Winsemius

> --
>
> On October 6, 2016 3:26:22 PM PDT, Jim Lemon <drjimlemon at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It certainly does. As we are often confronted with requests for
>> solutions of problems so minimally defined as to challenge the most
>> eminent mindreader, this excels. We have a meta-problem as the
>> supplicant him- (or her-, I cannot even ascertain this) does not
>> appear to know what it is. Thus me are asked to both pose and solve
>> the problem. While this may seem trivial to the casual reader, we must
>> recall Adams' Paradox, that we might supply an answer, but be unable
>> to state the question.
>>
>> Pardon the enthusiasm - I have just solved two gratuitous problems and
>> I was, so to speak, primed for this message.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 7:20 AM, Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz>
>> wrote:

>>> That's it, in its entirety.  Shouldn't that win some sort of prize?
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>>
>>> Rolf Turner

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA