[R] weighted regression inside FOREACH loop

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Oct 7 19:14:07 CEST 2016

foreach's '.export' argument lists the objects that should be copied to the
environment in which the expression is to be evaluated, which is not the
global environment.  In your example, environment(formula) is the global
environment so lm(formula, data=d, weights=weights) only looks in the
data.frame d and the global environment for a variable called 'weights'.

The following example uses the subset argument instead of weights.  Note
that all the variables involved are exported, but to the environment in
which coef(lm(...)) will be evaluated, not the global environment, hence
they are not found by lm (really, model.frame) when it looks in
environment(formula).

> d <- data.frame(x=log(1:4), y=1:4)
> formula <- y ~ x
> subsets <- list(1:2, 2:3, 3:4)
> foreach(k=1, .combine=list) %dopar% { list(
    FormulaObjects=objects(environment(formula), all=TRUE),
    LocalObjects=objects(environment(), all=TRUE),
    tryCatch(error=function(e)conditionMessage(e), coef(lm(data=d, formula,
subset=subsets[[k]])))) }
$FormulaObjects
[1] ".Random.seed"

$LocalObjects
[1] "d"       "formula" "k"       "subsets"

[[3]]
[1] "object 'subsets' not found"

Using the temporary child environment for things like this is helpful is
lots of situations, not just when using foreach.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com