[R] Finding starting values for the parameters using nls() or nls2()

ProfJCNash profjcnash at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 04:37:40 CEST 2016

Despite nlmrt "solving" the OP's problem, I think Gabor's suggestion likely gives a more sensible approach
to the underlying modelling problem.

It is, of course, sometimes important to fit a particular model, in which case nls2 and nlmrt are set up to grind away.
And hopefully the follow-up to nlmrt I'm working on will have enough capability in getting analytic derivatives
to work for a wider class of models. Note that functional approaches in nlmrt and minpack.lm allow users to
provide derivatives. Too many users think numerical approximations are a panacea, but my experience is that
most problems benefit from very accurate derivatives, of which analytic expressions are generally the best.

JN