[R] Lattice xyplot(): adding a legend

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 19:02:42 CEST 2016

1. Your par(), opar() business is junk -- lattice displays do not use or
modify these. See ?trellis.par.set .

2. You do *not* need rain$ in your formula with the data=rain argument; you
*do* need it in the at argument and elsewhere. The data argument only
controls where the variables in the formula (or subset or group) are
evaluated. This is clearly stated in ?xyplot. Did you read it?

If that doesn't work, your data are screwed up. Incidentally, I counted 3
times where rain$ appears, not 4. Did I miss one or did you err?

3. *Please* reread the key documentation in xyplot carefully. The key
parameters are determined by the points, etc component lists of the key.
The par.settings list controls the **plot** settings.

Finally, are you sure you want date as a factor? Wouldn't that get the date
order all messed up?

Please note that all of this is clearly documented. It's terse, but it's
there. You need to pay careful attention, and then you,David, and everyone
else will be happy and free of frustration.

Bert