[R] PROBLEM: correspondence analysis with vegan

Jim Lemon drjimlemon at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 00:32:43 CEST 2016

Hi Julia,
The error you got is usually due to data that should be numeric (1, 2,
3, ...) actually being a factor data type. This often happens when R
reads in a CSV file with the default option of converting character
variables (A, B, C,...) to factors. So your first column after input
may be a factor. Say your data frame (what you get after reading in
the CSV file) is named "mydf". Try this:

is.factor(mydf[,1])

If that is TRUE, you have identified the problem with the error
message.I don't have the vegan package installed here at work, but if
there is an argument that specifies the labels for the arrows (this
may be "display="), you may be able to pass the first column of your
data frame to that argument and pass:

mydf[,-1] as the "data" argument. This is very much a guess, but might
help you to understand what is happening in the process. Also look at
the stringsAsFactors= argument in the read.csv function.

Jim