[R] age old problem with rJava

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu Oct 27 14:31:10 CEST 2016

The very act of using sudo for this kind of activity creates files that you can only access by using sudo (bad permissions), thereby perpetuating your difficulties. You should be able to limit yourself to only using sudo for installing OS packages (apt-get) which is designed to yield appropriate file permissions for normal use.

Resolving such gordian knots in the operating system is off topic here, but I would recommend uninstalling R and your ~/R directory and the java runtime and then using the Ubuntu-specific instructions for setting up R that are posted on CRAN and avoid running R with sudo. Only use sudo with apt-get and use a local user-specific R library (~/R) so you don't have to use sudo to install R packages. If you need a system-wide installation then you need to get help in a more OS-specific forum... perhaps R-sig-debian.