[R] R hangs on startup

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Apr 4 23:39:19 CEST 2017

> Windows can occasionally be flaky
> about multiple instances of a single
> program.

John... I run multiple instances of R and RStudio on Win7 regularly. About the only poor behaviour I encounter has to do with updating packages used by those other instances.

However, I would never run R as Administrator under Windows. Too many bad things can happen if you do that.

Vineet... please be specific about what command line you are using that leads to trouble. Look in the shortcut properties to figure this out if that is how you are starting it. Using the command line directly will let you try out different options such as --vanilla more easily. You may also need to look at your PATH environment variable (Sys.getenv("PATH")) to make sure of which version you are invoking.