[R] system call removes special characters from text output

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Wed Apr 5 23:06:41 CEST 2017

I can't reproduce this.

On my system, the contents of an executable file named tmp.pl:

#! /opt/local/bin/perl
print "[A/B]\n";

At a shell prompt:

[72]% ./tmp.pl
[A/B]

Inside R:

> system(' ./tmp.pl')
[A/B]

--
Don MacQueen

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
7000 East Ave., L-627
Livermore, CA 94550
925-423-1062

On 4/3/17, 8:57 PM, "R-help on behalf of stephen sefick" <r-help-bounces at r-project.org on behalf of ssefick at gmail.com> wrote:

    Hello,

    I am writing an R package, and I am using system() to call a perl script.
    The output of the perl script is correct except for "[A/B]" is output as
    "AB". Can someone explain this behavior. I would like to try and fix this.
    many thanks,

    Stephen Sefick

    --
    Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are so
    little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and make us

                                    -K. Mullis

    "A big computer, a complex algorithm and a long time does not equal
    science."

                                  -Robert Gentleman

    	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]