[R] readr to generate tibble from a character matrix

Ben Tupper btupper at bigelow.org
Thu Apr 6 18:41:57 CEST 2017

Hi,

Thanks for this solution!  Very slick!

I see what you mean about the two calls to as_tibble(). I suppose I could do the following, but I doubt it is a gain...

mm <- lapply(colnames(m), function(nm, m) type.convert(m[,nm], as.is = TRUE), m=m)
names(mm) <- colnames(m)
as_tibble(mm)

# # A tibble: 4 × 5
#       A     B     C     D     E
# 1     a     e     i     1  11.2
# 2     b     f     j     2  12.2
# 3     c     g     k     3  13.2
# 4     d     h     l     4  14.2

I'll benchmark these with writing to a temporary file and pasting together a string.

Cheers and thanks,
Ben