[R] Is there a way to get R script line number

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Sat Apr 8 00:19:08 CEST 2017

Possible clarification/correction...(apologies in advance if I'm being redundant)

If I put the following four lines in a script whose file name is "junk.r":

log(3)
log(4)
log('a')
log(5)

then it generates an error message, as expected:

> source('junk.r')
Error in log("a") (from junk.r#3) : non-numeric argument to mathematical function

Note that the error message references the line number (correctly).

So there must be something somewhere that keeps track of the script's line numbers. Finding it, however, is more than I'm ready to tackle.

-Don

--
Don MacQueen

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
7000 East Ave., L-627
Livermore, CA 94550
925-423-1062

On 4/6/17, 12:30 PM, "R-help on behalf of Bert Gunter" <r-help-bounces at r-project.org on behalf of bgunter.4567 at gmail.com> wrote:

    I believe the answer is: No. "Line number" is an ambiguous concept.
    Does it mean physical line on a display of a given width? a line of
    code demarcated by e.g. <CR> ; a step in the execution of script (that
    might display over several physical lines?)

    However, various IDE's have and display "line numbers," so you might
    try researching whichever one that you use.

    (Note: Correction/clarification requested if I am wrong on this).

    -- Bert

    Bert Gunter

    and sticking things into it."