[R] Archive format

Joe Gain joe.gain at uni-konstanz.de
Mon Apr 10 10:15:29 CEST 2017

Hi Georg,

On 08.04.2017 09:04, G.Maubach at gmx.de wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> I have read your question with great interest. I am a little bit astonished to read about your project. There is a big national institute in Germany called GESIS (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GESIS_%E2%80%93_Leibniz-Institut_f%C3%BCr_Sozialwissenschaften) which does the same job you are trying to set-up since 1986 now. You could try to exchange ideas with them.

we've already had some contact with GESIS. I agree that it would be a
good idea to communicate and cooperate more with GESIS-- although there
are many interesting organisations, which are all doing their own thing
and it's not always easy to do so.

We organised a confernce in Heidelberg, "The E-Science Tage", and I was
at the GESIS presentation, which was very good.

> Your subject is very complex with regard to reproducible research. You might want to have a look at

> (1) https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/ReproducibleResearch.html
> (2) Gandrud, Christopher: Reproducible Research with R and R Studio (https://www.amazon.com/Reproducible-Research-Studio-Second-Chapman/dp/1498715370)

Thanks for the useful links. (There's a whole book about R and
reproducible research!)

The general goal of the web platform is to increase the awareness of
researchers in Research Data Management.

The topic _is_ very complicated and it's difficult to write a general
approach, especially, when you consider the different research
disciplines, etc. nevertheless, that is what we are trying to do. Where
it's possible and when the information becomes to specific we will
include links to further resources (such as those, you have recommended
above). Also, the project is to some extent dependent on the feedback of
users, especially when they are able to provide us with information,
which improves the content of the web platform.

> Kind regards
>
> Georg

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

All the best,
Joe