[R] Finding Infimum in R

Boris Steipe boris.steipe at utoronto.ca
Mon Apr 10 19:28:31 CEST 2017

Analytically speaking. But we are (presumably) looking for a numerical algorithm, and that is constrained by numerical accuracy, and in that realm we have  0.3333333333333333148296 on the left, and 0.3333333333333333703408 on the right.

And the left-side representable number is what gets returned for x <- 1/3. Whether this number, which is less than the defined discontinuity, is a correct solution depends on aspects of the problem that have not been disclosed.

No?

B.