[R] seq argument along.with

Carl Sutton suttoncarl at ymail.com
Fri Apr 14 23:55:48 CEST 2017

Hi

just messing around today and am now perplexed by the seq argument "along.with".

Please, I am just just seeking some knowledge here.  Obviously I missed a point

and would like to know what it is.

seq(1,10,length.out = 2)  makes sense
seq(1,10,by = 2)  makes sense
seq(1,10, along.with = 2)  What is the purpose of this argument????

per "help" page
 along.with
take the length from the length of this argument (assuming "length" here
refers to length of output).  Would that not mean I should get two

numbers?

Regardless of the value of the along.with argument, it just returns 1.  Which

then leads me to be believe that the output will be the number (length) of arguments,i.e., length of the along.with argument, which indeed it does.

seq(1,10,along.with = c(1,3,5,7))  yields 1 4 7 10

seq(1,10,along.with = c(111,13,5555,7) yields 1 4 7 10

seq(1,10,along.with = c("a","b","c","d")) yields 1 4 7 10

Obviously the authors of this function saw a need for this argument, but I am
just not bright enough to figure out what that purpose was.  It appears
to me that length.out does the same thing in a much more straightforward
manner, but then I am probably missing some point, subtle or otherwise.

Carl Sutton