[R] Fwd: Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit / Windows file extension hiding

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 15:12:44 CEST 2017

On 17/04/2017 6:41 PM, John Nash wrote:

> The very large amount of noise on this topic seems to be the result of allowing
> Windows to hide file extensions. We have had to put up with millions of malware
> infections because someone in M$ thought this would be a nice idea. I've seen it
> cause lots of problems over the years, including among my own family.
>
> Perhaps someone can create a check and repair that automatically turns this "feature" off
> whenever R is run. One reason among the many why I run Linux.

MacOS does this now too, though it feels less aggressive than Windows.
This page tells how to disable it there:
https://support.apple.com/kb/ph19072?locale=en_US

There's little point providing a link to a Microsoft page for doing this
on Windows, because their help page links are not very durable.  The
main one that Google finds describes itself as obsolete.

Duncan Murdoch