[R] Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD br at dmstat1.com
Tue Apr 18 17:26:51 CEST 2017

Dear John:
My pleasure to respond to your request.
Problem: Cannot get the .Rprofile file to take affect in either R (or RStudio).
As to "what" can be in put into a  .Rprofile file is abound, many examples in the manuals, blogs, links, and books.

The "how to" write the file was the real issue, not clearly covered in any material I could find or purchase.

I read that any notepad-type app can be used to create the .Rprofile file:
1. with or without a txt/R extension, and/or
2. with or without Administrator permission.

Not being a professional programmer/developer, I did not know about text editors that can create files with no extension, which was the problem at hand.

After many back and forth drilling down by R-helpers with trouble shooting queries, it became clear that I was not using a developer's text editor.

Solution: I found an editor online, EditPad Pro 7 (for Windows), with which I created my .Rprofile file.

The result was complete success, and gratitude to all R-helpers who stuck by me,
understanding I am new to R, with non professional programming skills. As a statistician (or if you prefer data scientist) for twenty plus years, clearly I must know how to program, but not at the pro level or pro understanding.

John, I hope this write up is satisfactory, if not please let let me know, as I will rewrite until you are happy with it.

It is a nice surprise to hear your wanting to archive the problem-solution, which almost did me in, and which created ill feelings among several R-helpers towards me.

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce Ratner PhD
The Significant Statistician™