[R] Delayed evaluation / lazy expression evaluation

Thomas Mailund thomas.mailund at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 11:54:55 CEST 2017

If anyone are interested, I found a solution for lazy lists. A simplified version of their construction and access looks like this:

nil <- function() NULL
cons <- function(car, cdr) {
  force(car)
  force(cdr)
  function() list(car = car, cdr = cdr)
}

is_nil <- function(lst) is.null(lst())
car <- function(lst) lst()$car
cdr <- function(lst) lst()$cdr

An invariant is that a list is always a thunk that evaluates to either NULL or a list tha contains car and cdr where cdr is another list (i.e. a thunk).

Operations on lists can be made lazy by wrapping them in a thunk that returns an evaluated promise. The laziness comes from wrapping an expression in a promise and by evaluating this promise we make it behave like the un-wrapped list would do.

So we can, for example, implement lazy reversal and concatenation like this:

reverse <- function(lst) {
  do_reverse <- function(lst) {
    result <- nil
    while (!is_nil(lst)) {
      result <- cons(car(lst), result)
      lst <- cdr(lst)
    }
    result
  }

  force(lst)
  lazy_thunk <- function(lst) {
    function() lst()
  }
  lazy_thunk(do_reverse(lst))
}

cat <- function(l1, l2) {
  do_cat <- function(l1, l2) {
    rev_l1 <- nil
    while (!is_nil(l1)) {
      rev_l1 <- cons(car(l1), rev_l1)
      l1 <- cdr(l1)
    }
    result <- l2
    while (!is_nil(rev_l1)) {
      result <- cons(car(rev_l1), result)
      rev_l1 <- cdr(rev_l1)
    }
    result
  }

  force(l1)
  force(l2)
  lazy_thunk <- function(lst) {
    function() lst()
  }
  lazy_thunk(do_cat(l1, l2))
}

As an example of how this laziness works, we can test concatenation. Concatenating two lists is a fast operation, because we don’t actually evaluate the concatenation, but when we access the list afterward we pay for both the concatenation and the access.

vector_to_list <- function(v) {
  lst <- nil
  for (x in v) lst <- cons(x, lst)
  reverse(lst)
}

l1 <- vector_to_list(1:10000)
l2 <- vector_to_list(1:10000)

library(microbenchmark)
microbenchmark(lst <- cat(l1, l2), times = 1) # fast operation
microbenchmark(car(lst), times = 1) # slow operation
microbenchmark(car(lst), times = 1) # faster operation

Of course, such a lazy list implementation is just a slow way of implementing lists, but it makes it possible to exploit a combination of amortised analysis and persistent data structures to implement queues http://www.westpoint.edu/eecs/SiteAssets/SitePages/Faculty%20Publication%20Documents/Okasaki/jfp95queue.pdf

Cheers