[R] survival package can't find Ccoxfit6

SeshanV at mskcc.org SeshanV at mskcc.org
Thu Apr 27 16:53:43 CEST 2017

Thank you Drs. Therneau and Murdoch.

"Why not use coxph.fit?" -- My use case scenario is that I needed the Cox model coefficients for resampled data. I was trying to reduce the computational overhead of coxph.fit (since it will repeated a large number of times) by stripping all the parts that I don't need such as sorting of the data prior to coxfit6.c call and Martingale residual and concordance computations after the parameters are estimated.

Under the R v3.4.0 model one cannot create any modified form of coxph.fit and expect it to work. Worse yet is the following where I copy "coxph.fit" to my workspace as "mycoxph.fit" (works initially because the environment is namespace:survival and fails when environment changed to R_GlobalEnv)

> set.seed(12345)
> x <- rep(0:1, c(20,20))
> y <- cbind(c(-log(runif(20)), -2*log(runif(20))), rep(1,40))
> mycoxph.fit <- coxph.fit
> control <- coxph.control()
> oo1 <- coxph.fit(as.matrix(as.double(x)), y, NULL, NULL, NULL, control, NULL, "efron", NULL)
> oo2 <- mycoxph.fit(as.matrix(as.double(x)), y, NULL, NULL, NULL, control, NULL, "efron", NULL)
> all.equal(oo1, oo2)
[1] TRUE
> environment(mycoxph.fit)
<environment: namespace:survival>
> environment(mycoxph.fit) <- .GlobalEnv
> environment(mycoxph.fit)
<environment: R_GlobalEnv>
> mycoxph.fit(as.matrix(as.double(x)), y, NULL, NULL, NULL, control, NULL, "efron", NULL)
Error in mycoxph.fit(as.matrix(as.double(x)), y, NULL, NULL, NULL, control,  :
  object 'Ccoxfit6' not found

So the question is can a user create new functions modeled after existing functions os is the new model going to hinder it?

Thanks,
Venkat