[R] Error with installed.packages with R 3.4.0 on Windows

Dimitri Liakhovitski dimitri.liakhovitski at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 19:10:58 CEST 2017

When I click on "r patched snapshot build" here
<https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/>, it take me here
<https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rpatched.html> , it says: Download
R-3.3.3 Patched build for Windows
<https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/R-3.3.3patched-win.exe>
However, I am unclear how can one get to the patched 3.4.0 version?
Thank you!

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
> wrote:

> On 28.04.2017 10:45, Thierry Onkelinx wrote:
>
>> Dear Peter,
>>
>> It actually breaks install.packages(). So it is not that innocent.
>>

> And hence, as Peter exoplained, it is already fixed inn R-patched, thanks
> to Tomas Kalibera.
>
> Best,
> Uwe Ligges
>

> Best regards,
>>
>> Thierry
>>

>> Op 28 apr. 2017 10:36 a.m. schreef "peter dalgaard" <pdalgd at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Yes, we noticed this in the last days of the code freeze before release
>> and
>> shied away from inserting a workaround, partly because we couldn't see
>> what
>> the root of the problem might be.
>>
>> For the purposes of installed.packages it is relatively harmless to treat
>> the NA condition as FALSE, since it is just a matter of whether a cache is
>> valid. I.e., it might cause an unnecessary cache rebuild. For other
>> situations it might be more of an issue.
>>
>> The workaround (NA -> FALSE, basically) is in place in R-patched and
>> R-devel.
>>
>> -pd
>>
>> On 28 Apr 2017, at 07:47 , Thierry Onkelinx <thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be>
>>>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> We have several computers with the same problem.
>>>
>>> Op 28 apr. 2017 7:25 a.m. schreef "Jean-Claude Arbaut" <
>>> arbautjc at gmail.com
>>> :
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am currently getting a strange error when I call installed.packages():
>>>
>>> Error in if (file.exists(dest) && file.mtime(dest) > file.mtime(lib) &&
>>> :
>>>  missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed
>>> Calls: installed.packages
>>>

>>> I am working with R 3.4.0 on Windows. I didn't get this error with R
>>>
>> 3.3.3.
>>
>>> Apparently, file.mtime() is returning NA well applied to a directory, and
>>> this causes the entire && expression to be NA, then the "if" fails
>>> because
>>> it needs either T or F.
>>> The source of "installed.packages" seems to be roughly the same as in R
>>> 3.3.3, so I wonder if there have been other changes in R, maybe the
>>>
>> logical
>>
>>> operators, that would make this function fail.
>>>
>>> Any idea?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Jean-Claude Arbaut
>>>
>>>        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>> posting-guide.html

>>>       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>> posting-guide.html

>> --
>> Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
>> Center for Statistics, Copenhagen Business School
>> Solbjerg Plads 3, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
>> Phone: (+45)38153501
>> Office: A 4.23
>> Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com

>> ng-guide.html