[R] Data.table vs dplr handling multiple variables

Ek Esawi esawiek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 17:13:18 CEST 2017

Hi All—

I am often working with large datasets with multiple variables (integer,
decimal, string, complex, date, and time) that require processing,
cleaning, etc. I am relatively new to R and I would like to get some input
on the following issue: I am trying to figure out which R-package(s) is
most suitable for my work. I looked into data.table and dplyr. Both are
very good but I found out that data.table does not handle time data well
(one has to use fast time package) and not sure whether dplyr does the same
or not. I am not sure about their handling of other variables listed above.
I like data.table.

The questions: (1) which package should I invest on learning and how to
deal with issue like time data and possibly other variables such complex
numbers, date, etc.? (2) What is the “best” practical solution for such
issue?

Thanks in advance,

EKE

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]