[R] Use case for HDF5 dataspace interface

Koustav Pal koustavpal.devel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 11:28:29 CEST 2017

This question is a clone of my stackoverflow question which never got
answered (o_O). Therefore I am posting it here. I would really like some
inputs if possible.

I am currently building some applications which make use of HDF5 files.

I have already taken a look at the hdfgroup website with regards to
dataspace <https://support.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/H5.user/Dataspaces.html>
and I think I understand the concept. But I am very much unable to
understand it's real world use.

Can someone please, tell me what is the dataspace interface supposed to be
used for?

Currently, I think if I load a matrix of size 1.5M x 1.5M I may be able to
store dataspace coordinates and then retrieve that piece of data much
faster. Is this correct?

It would be great if you can provide some example use cases.

Link to original question:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44697599/hdf5-dataspace-interface-what-does-it-do-and-what-is-its-real-world-applicati

Koustav Pal,
PhD student in Computational Biology,
Francesco Ferrari's group,
IFOM - The FIRC Institute of Molecular Oncology
Milan, Italy.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]