[R] PROC MIXED RANDOM equivalence in R nlme

Robert Baer rbaer at atsu.edu
Fri Aug 11 15:27:50 CEST 2017

On 8/10/2017 8:34 AM, Dennis F. Kahlbaum wrote:
> -- snip --
I don't have real help, but I'll remind you that R is case sensitive,
and it looks like that will be at least one problem in the solution your
are working on below:
lme not LME
data not DATA
random = RANDOM

> The R code I've devised for the PROC MIXED statement is shown below:

> FitTHC <- LME(ln_thc ~ rv + t5 + t9 + ar + ol + ox + su + bz,
>           DATA = emiss,
>           RANDOM = ??????? )
>
> As indicated, the problem I'm having is in constructing the equivalent
> code for the RANDOM and any remaining settings. I've tried
>
> RANDOM = ~1 + rv + t5 + t9 + ar + ol + ox + su + bz | new)
>
> but R hangs
Are the items in your random formula columns in a dataframe named
emiss?  Do they have data types?  Even if the data are proprietary some
fake data can make the problem more concrete.
You are saying "gets caught in a processing loop that produces no errors
or warnings"???