[R] EOF within quoted string

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Aug 11 18:03:06 CEST 2017

I tried reading it with read.table, as below, and didn't see any obvious
problems.

> txt <- readLines("http://ssc.wisc.edu/~ahanna/20_newsgroups.csv")
> str(txt)
 chr [1:11315] ",target,text" ...
> writeLines(substring(txt[1:5],1,40))
,target,text
0,9,"From: cubbie at garnet.berkeley.edu (
1,4,"From: gnelson at pion.rutgers.edu (Gre
2,11,"From: crypt-comments at math.ncsu.edu
3,4,"From:  () Subject: Re: Quadra SCSI
> z <- read.table(text=txt, sep=",", quote="\"", header=TRUE,
stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
> str(z)
'data.frame':   11314 obs. of  3 variables:
 $ X     : int  0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...
 $ target: int  9 4 11 4 0 4 5 5 13 12 ...
 $ text  : chr  "From: cubbie at garnet.berkeley.edu (
      ) Subject: Re: Cubs behind Marlins? How? Artic"| __truncated__ "From:
gnelson at pion.rutgers.edu (Gregory Nelson) Subject: Thanks Apple: Free
Ethernet on my C610! Article-I.D.: "| __truncated__ "From:
crypt-comments at math.ncsu.edu Subject: Cryptography FAQ 10/10 - References
ATTENTION: Mac Qu"| __truncated__ ...
> summary(z)
       X             target           text
 Min.   :    0   Min.   : 0.000   Length:11314
 1st Qu.: 2828   1st Qu.: 5.000   Class :character
 Median : 5656   Median : 9.000   Mode  :character
 Mean   : 5656   Mean   : 9.293
 3rd Qu.: 8485   3rd Qu.:14.000
 Max.   :11313   Max.   :19.000
> sum(is.na(z$text))
[1] 0
> table(substring(z$text,1,5))

 cs.u  egsn  howl  sgib  uune  wisc  wupo  zaph Distr From: Nntp- Organ
Orgin
    4     1     2     1     1     1     2     4    14 10795    13   125
1
Reply Subje To: g X-Mai
    3   343     1     3

Bill Dunlap