[R] Suggestion for installation of R

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 23:46:53 CEST 2017

The following installs a version of R on an android phone or tablet. I have
tried it on a google 5x, Lenovo TAB , Bush Spira B2 10.and several other
phones/tablets which I do not have acess to exact model descriptions

Install Gnuroot Debian from the Google app store. This app installs an
expandable Debian system that will run on a non-rooted Android
phone/tablet. It includes a basic x-window system.

You can start with

apt-get update and apt -gat upgrade to bring the system up to date. I have
used apt-get to install R, emacs, ess and gretl.. You can do this in a
basic terminal or in the x-window terminal. The versions available are a
little dated but do work if one can manage the small screen. The x-window
screen has additional cursor and cntrl/excape/alt etc keys available.
ions
You may find that there is a delay between the appearance of a window and
the ability to use it. Due to screen, memory and cpu limitations it would
be difficult to do any complex work on such a system. There is a native
maxima on android app that you might find useful.

John C Frain
3 Aranleigh Park
Rathfarnham
Dublin 14