[R] R & RStudio hardware Utilization

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 19:43:52 CEST 2017

Inline.
Bert Gunter

and sticking things into it."

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 7:39 AM, Vasilis Bardakos via R-help
<r-help at r-project.org> wrote:
> I am going to attend MSc Data Science in September, so I consider upgrading my system to be more efficient with my projects.I used RStudio for my Macroeconomics Undergraduate Thesis and I had a couple of loops which needed almost 30 minutes to occur.
> My system specifications are the following:
>
>    - CPU: i7 4970k @ 4.0 GHz
>    - RAM: 8GB DDR3
>    - Hard Drive: SSD M.2 950 PRO
>
> Since I have only used RStudio, is there any dramatic difference between R and RStudio in terms of system resources used?
> Does R utilizes all Cores? If it does, is it better to go for more cores or faster CPU?I know that RAM has a great impact. However, I don't really know how much do I really need for individual projects. Invest to 32GB or just go for fast 16GB?At the moment, my SSD seems fine in terms of speed.
> Sorry for the trouble but there is not any clear answer in the internet.

Nonsense!! Searching on "Does R use multiple cores on a multicore CPU"
immediately brought this up:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4775098/r-package-that-automatically-uses-several-cores

This appears to answer all your questions! Note in particular the
pointers to CRAN's "High Performance Computing" task view, which
should provide up to date answers and packages.

Cheers,
Bert