[R] Flummoxed by gsub().

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 16:46:06 CEST 2017

Inline.

-- Bert

Bert Gunter

and sticking things into it."

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 2:29 AM, Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> On 23/08/17 18:33, Stefan Evert wrote:
>

>>> On 23 Aug 2017, at 07:45, Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>>>
>>> My reading of ?regex led me to believe that
>>>
>>>     gsub("[:alpha:]","",x)
>>>
>>> should give the result that I want.
>>

>> That's looking for any of the characters a, l, p, h, : .
>

> OK.  I see that now.  I don't think that it's really stated anywhere that to
> search for (and possibly change) any one of a string of characters you
> enclose that string of characters in brackets [  ].
>
> The first example from ?grep makes this "clear" (for some value of the word
> "clear") once you understand what this example is on about.
>
> So it's "obvious" once you've been shown, and totally opaque until then.

Well, "obviousness" is in the mind of the beholder, but, from ?regexp:

"A character class is a list of characters enclosed between [ and ]
which matches any single character in that list; "... (at the end of
the above section)

"For example, [[:alnum:]] means [0-9A-Za-z] "...

Note the doubled brackets. So seems pretty explicit to me.

Cheers,
Bert