[R] rmutil parameters for Pareto distribution

Justin Thong justinthong93 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 21:23:50 CEST 2017

In https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_distribution, it is clear what the
parameters are for the pareto distribution: *xmin *the scale parameter and
*a* the shape parameter.

I am using rmutil to generate random deviates from a pareto distribution.
It says in the documentation that the probabilty density of the pareto
distribution

The Pareto distribution has density

f(y) = s (1 + y/(m (s-1)))^(-s-1)/(m (s-1))

where m is the mean parameter of the distribution and s is the dispersion

Through my experimentation of using rpareto function from the library using
m as the scale parameter *xmin* value and s as the shape parameter* a* , I
found that the deviates generated are not all larger than *xmin*. This
leads me to believe that m and s are not the shape and scale parameter
respectively.

What is m and s? Could it be defined as the mean and variance respectively
 as shown on the wikipedia link?

Yours sincerely,
Justin

*I check my email at 9AM and 4PM everyday*
*If you have an EMERGENCY, contact me at +447938674419(UK) or
+60125056192(Malaysia)*

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]