[R] "Improvement with the R code"

Berry, Charles ccberry at ucsd.edu
Mon Aug 28 20:52:08 CEST 2017

> On Aug 28, 2017, at 9:26 AM, Elie Canonici Merle <elie.canonicimerle at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Chuck (Is it fine to call you Chuck?)

In this forum, yes please.

> I don't know much about pmin and factor but it might worth looking into if
> you want to manipulate states by names (I assume this is why one might want
> to use it?)

Actually is it because the OP had states 1-4 in his data. In the pre-state only 1-3 get counted. In the post-state, 4 gets rolled into 3.

So,

pre <- factor(data, 1:3) # 4 and higher are NA
post <- pmin(3, data)    # 4 and higher become 3

implements those rules, and table(pre, post) gives a 3 x 3 table that one need not subset.

Chuck