[R] Errors in reading in txt files

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Thu Dec 14 21:31:34 CET 2017

In addition to which, I would recommend

df <- read.table("DATAM", header = TRUE, fill = TRUE, stringsAsFactors=FALSE)

and then converting the Time column to POSIXct date-time values using
  as.POSIXct()
specifying the format using formatting codes found in
  ?strptime
because the times are not in the POSIXct default format.

This example might indicate the idea:

> as.POSIXct('2012-10-12 13:14')
[1] "2012-10-12 13:14:00 PDT"
> class(as.POSIXct('2012-10-12 13:14'))
[1] "POSIXct" "POSIXt"

-Don

--
Don MacQueen
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

On 12/14/17, 11:01 AM, "R-help on behalf of Ista Zahn" <r-help-bounces at r-project.org on behalf of istazahn at gmail.com> wrote:

    On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 1:58 PM, Berend Hasselman <bhh at xs4all.nl> wrote:

    >> On 14 Dec 2017, at 19:36, lily li <chocold12 at gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi R users,
    >>
    >> I have a question about reading from text files. The file has the structure
    >> below:
    >>
    >> Time                            Column1   Column2
    >> 01.01.2001-12:00:00
    >
    > This line does not contain 3 elements; only one.
    > You'll have to fix that line. Delete it, prepend it with a comment character of add enough columns.

    I definitely don't recommend that. Instead, read

    ?read.table

    to learn about the "fill" and "header" arguments.

    df = read.table("DATAM", header = TRUE, fill = TRUE)

    will probably work.

    Best,
    Ista