[R] metafor rma.mv weights questions

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Feb 2 23:19:37 CET 2017

Hi Laura,

As far as I am concerned, you account for multiple effects sizes from the same study by setting up and fitting an appropriate model, not by fiddling with the weights. Several examples are described here:

http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/analyses#multivariate_multilevel_meta-analysis_models

The model implies the structure of the variance-covariance matrix of the estimates. The inverse of this var-cov matrix then implies the weights (and for multilevel/multivariate data, this is no longer a diagonal matrix, so there are not just weights, but an entire weight matrix). See also help(rma.mv) in metafor.

So, if you fit an appropriate model to the data at hand, the 'default weights' used by rma.mv() will be just fine.

Best,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician | Department of Psychiatry and
Neuropsychology | Maastricht University | P.O. Box 616 (VIJV1) | 6200 MD