[R] use of Encoding()?

Olivier Crouzet olivier.crouzet at univ-nantes.fr
Fri Feb 3 19:12:08 CET 2017

Hi,

using R version 3.3.2 under Linux, these work perfectly (but I receive
a correct encoding ("UTF-8"), not "unknown").

What is your system (windows, mac, linux)? Your R version? Which
interface (RStudio, Windows R interface)? There are often issues with
character encoding using Windows (in many different programming
languages) but it may not be the case concerning R.

If these operations are meant to read data from a file, you may
alternatively consider the option fileEncoding= from read.table /
read.csv (to change encoding) or, perhaps but I would
suggets first trying the preceding option, encoding= (to specifically
declare the file encoding if you know it but R does not detect it).

Olivier.

--
  Olivier Crouzet, PhD
  Laboratoire de Linguistique de Nantes -- UMR6310

  http://www.lling.univ-nantes.fr/