[R] [FORGED] Equality of two probabilities (proportions?)

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Feb 10 22:53:40 CET 2017

On 11/02/17 00:27, mamuash bukana wrote:

> Suppose we calculate probability of an event using Binomial
> distribution and got p1. Then probability of that same event is
> calculated using the Normal approximation to Binomial and got p2.
> Can't we evaluate the goodness of our approximation by comparing the
> difference between p1&p2? If yes, how to implement this in R?
>
> I wouldn't have been here seeking for help if I had that "deep"
> understanding of the issue under question Rolf!

In your original post you asked about whether the difference was
"statistically significant".  As I suspected, the question is totally
inappropriate.  The concept of "statistical significance" does not apply
in this context.  There are no statistics; there are only calculations
of probabilities.

As I said, you are out of your depth and need to learn the basics of the
subject that you are trying to deal with.  Learn to walk before you try
to run.  There are no short cuts to an understanding of probability and
statistics.  A lot of hard graft is required.

Michael Dewey's suggestion of studying "scoring rules" or the "Brier
score" might be useful to you, but you need to get the basic principles
of the subject (probability and statistics) straight in your mind before
you dive into these ideas.

As others have said, this issue is off topic for this list.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Technical Editor ANZJS