[R] Circular plot

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Mon Feb 13 18:52:53 CET 2017

You can do this easily with the DrawCircle() function in package DescTools. It is easiest to use geometric coordinates (0 is at 3 o'clock and moves counterclockwise around the circle), but it could be converted to 12 o'clock and clockwise:

library(DescTools)

# Convert begin/stop to radians
dat$begin <- 0 + 2 * pi * dat$start/1500
dat$stop <- 0 + 2 * pi * dat$end/1500

# Open blank plot window and draw circles
Canvas(xlim = c(-5,5), xpd=TRUE)
DrawCircle (r.out = 5, r.in = 5, theta.1=.05, theta.2=2*pi-.05, lwd=3)
with(dat, DrawCircle(r.out = 5 - score/5, r.in = 5 - score/5,
     theta.1=begin, theta.2=stop, border=col, lwd=4))
text(5.2, .4, "1", pos=4)
text(5.2, -.4, "1500", pos=4)

David L Carlson
Department of Anthropology