[R] evaluating function over seq of values

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 21:32:07 CET 2017

The apply() family of functions **are** loops (at the interpreted
level). They are **not vectorized** (looping at the C level). Their
typical virtue is in code clarity and (sometimes) the utiity of the
return structure, not greater efficiency. Sometimes they are a bit
faster, sometimes a bit slower, than *well-written* explicit loops.

Note that in your likelihood function, N can be a vector of values, so
you can compute the likelihood for all values of N and just access the
value you want via subscripting rather than repeatedly computing it
for different N's.  If all you want to do is maximize over a grid of
values, I don't know why you need optim() at all -- but I probably
just don't get what you're doing.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter