[R] Yates correction

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Feb 21 16:15:04 CET 2017

Hi,

In general, statistical questions that are more conceptual in nature, which is the case here, are generally frowned upon on this list, since they are considered off-topic here.

That being said, increasingly, both the Fisher Exact test and the use of the Yates correction to the Chi-Square test are being challenged as being overly conservative in small sample situations. The same goes for the common recommendation of switching to the Fisher Exact Test when there are any expected cell values of <5, which is what is generating the "Chi-squared approximation may be incorrect" in the examples below, since one of your expected cell values is 4.94.

There was a paper by Campbell back in 2007 that discussed this:

Chi-squared and Fisher–Irwin tests of two-by-two tables with small sample recommendations
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/sim.2832/abstract

and he has a web site here with additional resources:

http://www.iancampbell.co.uk/twobytwo/twobytwo.htm

Even using his 'n-1' variant of the test with his online calculator on the above web site, you end up with a p value of 0.5, which is close to the p value for the uncorrected chi-square (chisq.test() with correct = FALSE) of 0.4925. Thus, none of these cases results in a "statistically significant" p value of <=0.05. Not that you should be p value hunting anyway here.

The whole p value discussion is further from being on topic here, but under none of these hypothesis tests would you reject the null.

Further consultation with a local statistical expert would seem prudent.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz