[R] Novice users in need of urgent help with boxplots

Ashley Patton ashley.patton at aol.co.uk
Tue Feb 28 15:11:38 CET 2017

Hi, please forgive me but I am completely new to R and have no experience with it other than a 3 day training course but I need to use it for an urgent project and don't have time to learn a whole new language before the deadline, although I hope to get there soon.

My question is this. I have a dataset in Excel containing data from 20 sites. The data comes from loggers recording every half hour for a year. So my Excel file has 20 columns each with the name of the site as the header and each column contains the data recorded throughout the year. What I want to do is show the variation in that data at each site. So I would have a boxplot showing site 1, site 2, site 3... etc across the x axis and then the variable data (which in this case in air temperature) on the y axis so I can see what range in temperatures occurred throughout the year, what where the max, min, outliers etc. I have trawled the Internet looking for a code that will allow me to do this but all I can find is plots that refer to data where you are looking at a range in data with a category (like range in mpg with cylinder size) whereas I want to so look at the data for all of my sites just on one plot. I know this is possible because I have seen it down by someone else but I don't know where to start. Does anyone have any code that would do this or at least know where I could go? Like I say, I am a complete begging so writing code is a brand new thing for me. Many, many thanks to anyone who helps me with this one.

Many thanks

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]