[R] Fitting Hastie's principal surfaces in R

Neverstop . neverstop at hotmail.it
Sun Jan 1 11:56:39 CET 2017

Hello,

I need to summarize a three-dimensional dataset through a principal surface that passes through the middle of the data. Principal surfaces are non-linear generalization of the plane created by the first two principal components and provide a non-linear summary of p-dimensional dataset. Principal surfaces are described in this 1989 article by Hastie and Stuetzle: https://web.stanford.edu/~hastie/Papers/Principal_Curves.pdf . They were introduced by Trevor Hastie in his Ph.D dissertation: http://www.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-wrap/getdoc/slac-r-276.pdf

I'm looking for a package to fit principal surfaces with R.
I've come across the package princurve created by TrevorHastie, but it allows to fit principal curves only. How can I fit two-dimensional principal surfaces in R?

Thank you.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]