[R] Problem with IRkernel Installation Solved - Instructions on how to Solve it

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 19:00:59 CET 2017

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 8:43 AM, Paul Bernal <paulbernal07 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> Great news! I was able to install the IRkernel successfully and I am now
> able to create R notebooks in Jupyter.

Congratulations.

 Just in case anybody out there is
> struggling with this too, here is what I did (I have Windows 8, but it will
> probably work for Mac OS X as well):
>
> 1-Go to the page https://irkernel.github.io/installation
> 2-Open the R console (I have R version 3.3.2)
> 3-Go to the step where it says "Installing via supplied binary packages
> (default on Windows + Mac OS X)
> 4-Instead of installing all the packages using one single command as
> suggested in the installation instructions, go to the R console and install
> all of the packages one by one, as follows
>  >install.packages('repr')
>  >install.packages('IRdisplay')
>  >install.packages('evaluate')
>  >install.packages('crayon')
>  >install.packages('pbdZMQ')
>  >install.packages('devtools')
>  >install.packages('uuid')
>  >install.packages('digest')

This can hardly make any difference.

install.packages(c('repr', 'IRdisplay', 'evaluate', 'crayon',
'pbdZMQ', 'devtools', 'uuid', 'digest'))

is fine.

> 5-Connect to a CRAN mirror and select install packages, look for the
> package githubinstall and clic on it to install it

Why?

> 6-Start loading each one of the packages installed like this:
>  >library("repr")
>  >library("IRdisplay")
>  >library("evaluate")
>  >library("crayon")
>  >library("pbdZMQ")
>  >library("devtools")
>  >library("uuid")
>  >library("digest")
>  >library("githubinstall")

Attaching all these packages is not needed. The githubinstall package
is not needed at all.

> 7-After this you have to update jsonlite which is a dependencie of package
> githubinstall, you update jsonlite using the following command:
>  >update.packages('jsonlite')'

Also not needed, as githubinstall is not needed.

> 8-After this, you have to type the following commands:
>  >library(httr)
>  >set_config(use_proxy(url="the required IP", port=8080, username="your
> network user", password="the password you use to unlock your computer"))
>  >#you can get the required IP going to the command prompt and using the
> command ping
>  >#port has to be 8080

Maybe something like this is needed if you are behind a firewall, I
don't know. But none of that is generally needed.

> 9-type use the command:
>  >devtools::install_github('IRkernel/IRkernel')
> 10-Last but not least, type the following command:
>  >IRkernel::installspec()
>
> If you follow this instructions you should be able to install the IRkernel
> successfully and start writing R notebooks in Jupyter.
>
> Hope this helps,

I suspect it will confuse more than help unfortunately.

Best,
Ista