[R] R and UBUNTU startup

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Jul 4 20:03:26 CEST 2017

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 4, 2017, at 4:58 AM, PIKAL Petr <petr.pikal at precheza.cz> wrote:
>
> Hi

If you do that you get an outdated version of R. And I think you only get the base version although I'm not completely sure. I've gone through a similar transition myself recently although it was from OSX. I think you need to bite the bullet and use the method in the CRAN README. I decided to try RStudio. But rstudio will find whatever version is installed so that's a separate decision.

>> Q3. Not that I know of. If you have difficulty with R on Linux then you should
>> focus on learning how to use Linux in general... and learn what X-Windows is.
>
> Hm. I have some book about Linux from about 2005, which I think is quite old and I am not sure if almost 15 years old recommendations are still valid.

The Ask.Ubuntu website is useful as are the r-sig-debian Archives.