[R] metRology package

S Ellison S.Ellison at LGCGroup.com
Thu Jul 13 15:11:41 CEST 2017

> I'm having trouble with a simple application with metRology.

Well, what you probably need is to contact the maintainer  of the metRology package.
Fortunately that's me.

An immediate problem that I have is that I don't quite understand what you're doing (in the measurement), so I may need to get back to you off list to understand that more fully. However, an immediate issue is that uncert() in metrology assumes it's getting scalars, and when you said

> dent<-expression(7*(mass/(Length*Width)))
> uncert(obj=dent, x=d.set, u=d.set.u, method="GUM")

you have asked for the uncertainty of seven times the mass per unit area. That would 'obviously' be around seven times the uncertainty of a single mass per unit area. If you wanted the latter, you'd probably need to have _mean_ mass ,Length and Width with standard uncertainties (or, better, covariance matrix, given that the three values aren't independent) for the _means_.

I'll need to spend a bit of time understanding why your own code came out differently; once I've had time to look at that I'll get back to you off list.

Steve Ellison