[R] cannot use package RcmdrPlugin.plotByGroup

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Jul 23 00:21:35 CEST 2017

Dear Lu Wei,

I'm the author of the Rcmdr package but not of RcmdrPlugin.plotByGroup, so if there really is a problem -- which isn't apparent from your message -- then you may wish to contact the package author.

First, as a general matter, menu items in the Rcmdr are grayed out if they're inappropriate in the current context. Rcmdr plug-in authors can use the same mechanism. So, for example, most menu items are grayed out before you read a data set, and menu items that require a categorical variable will be grayed out if there are no factors (or character variables or logical variables) in the active data set.

Second, Rcmdr plug-in packages aren't loaded by the library("Rcmdr") command. You can load a plug-in from the Rcmdr Tools menu; and many (but not all) Rcmdr plug-in packages can be loaded directly via the library() command, in which case the Rcmdr package is also loaded. I don't know whether library("RcmdrPlugin.plotByGroup") will work, but you can try it.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox, Professor Emeritus
McMaster University