[R] [FORGED] About error bars on barplots

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jun 18 02:30:25 CEST 2017

On 18/06/17 12:10, lily li wrote:
> Hi R users,
>
> I have a question about adding uncertainty bars to stacked bar plots.
>
> DF:
>    year   A   B   C   Amin  Amax  Bmin  Bmax  Cmin  Cmax
>   2009  40  45  15   30      61       23       56      14       17
>   2010  36  41  23   26      54       22       51      22       24
>
> I use the code below:
>
> DF.refm = melt(subset(DF[,c(1:4)]),id.vars='year',variable_name='Legend')
>
> fig1 = ggplot(data=DF.refm, aes(x=year,y=value,fill=Legend))+
>    geom_bar(stat='identity',size=.5)+ theme_bw()+ xlab('Year')+
> ylab('Percent (%)')
> print(fig1)
>
> But I don't know how to change it a little bit. For example, how to add the
> error bars on the plot, as is shown in the figure below? The error bar for
> variable A ranges from Amin to Amax, the same applies to variables B and C.
> Thanks for your help.

Your figure did not come through, at least not to me.  You are probably
doing something fancy, and the mailing list software stripped out the
figure.  *Do* learn to keep things simple.  _Attach_ figures as *.pdf
files, for instance.

That being said, to answer your question, my advice (and that of many
others) is: DON'T.  Error bars on boxplots (such plots are sometimes
known as "dynamite plots" or "detonator plots") are considered by the
cognoscenti to be abominations.

cheers,

Rolf

--