[R] Matrix

Mathew Guilfoyle mrguilfoyle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 22:10:33 CET 2017

Effectively you want a circulant matrix but filled by column.

Example input vector and number of columns

x = c(1:8,19:20)
nc = 5

For the result you specifically describe, the following generalises for any vector and any arbitrary number of columns 'nc', padding with zeros as necessary.

matrix(c(rep(c(x,rep(0,nc)),nc-1),x), ncol=nc)

For the unpadded column circulant on the same inputs

nx = length(x)
ind = 1+ outer(0:(nx-1),0:(1-nc),'+') %% nx
matrix(x[ind], ncol=nc)

Cheers