[R] Follow-up: RStudio: Place for Storing Options (as plain text)

G.Maubach at weinwolf.de G.Maubach at weinwolf.de
Wed Mar 8 08:59:09 CET 2017

Hi All,

I got a late reply from RStudio Support concerning the question where
RStudio store options and configurations:

-- cut --

The post RStudio Config Files has a new comment.
. . .
Unfortunately, it's unlikely that we'll be able to provide a programmatic
R interface in the near future -- the way we lay out and store RStudio's
client state does not make it as amenable to public consumption as we
might hope.
That said, you can generally copy everything within that folder to a new
machine (at the same relative path from the user home directory), and
expect preferences to be respected + restored as you might expect.
. . .
--cut --

The result of the discussion is:

We can copy the complete RStudio directory for storing options and
configurations under

%localappdata%\RStudio-Desktop or
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\RStudio-Desktop

and copy it completely to a new installation of RStudio.

A programmatic approach to edit RStudio options and configurations is not
possible due to design decisions.

The purpose of the initial question was to find a way to save RStudio
options and configurations, e g. on git/github or similar. This is
possible by initialising the above given directory with git or similar.

An open question is what happens if a new RStudio release makes changes to
the options and configurations. If the stored directory can be completely
used would need additional clearification, i.e. for each new version.

Kind regards

Georg