[R] Help with lapply and tapply

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 06:22:10 CET 2017

In short, you really need to study the Help files carefully for both,
as you are using both tapply and lapply incorrectly. If that doesn't
work, I think you should spend some time with one of the many
excellent R tutorials on the web. You need to beef up your
understanding of the syntax.

But briefly:

1) the tapply call must be of the form tapply(x, fac, fun) where x is
atomic (i.e. a vector) and fac is a factor that splits x into groups.
You have obviously got the call all wrong.

2) And in the second, X must be a list or vector, not a matrix and the
function needs to have its elements as an argument, something like FUN
= function(x)FUN1(x, ... your other arguments...)

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter

and sticking things into it."