[R] mood.test/mood.medtest

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 10:09:04 CET 2017

> On 15 Mar 2017, at 16:32 , Leemann, Lucas T <l.leemann at essex.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to test whether two medians are identical or not and used the function “mood.test” from the “stats" package. My co-author, a medical doctor, was trying to do the same in SPSS and had different results.

stats::mood.test() is a test of scale, not medians, according to its documentation.

mood.medtest() is a test for a common median, basically looking at a crosstable of observations above and below the joint median:

> M <- table(indicator, x > median(x))
> chisq.test(M)

	Pearson's Chi-squared test with Yates' continuity correction

data:  M
X-squared = 4.125, df = 1, p-value = 0.04225
> mood.medtest(x ~ indicator)

	Mood's median test

data:  x by indicator
X-squared = 4.125, df = 1, p-value = 0.04225

This might differ from SPSS output (which you do not cite) in details like Yates correction, use of exact test, etc.

-pd