[R] SOLVED: inadverted reordering of a df column when it is copied to another df

Karl Schilling karl.schilling at uni-bonn.de
Fri Mar 17 21:39:28 CET 2017

Dear All:

it seems I have solved my reordering issue, and to thank all those who
answered, I briefly list the mistake I made.

I stared out from some data.frame holding values x and a grouping
factor. Actually, my factor was a number (but not numeric) which was,
however, not ordered. So it would go something like 1 1 1 2 2 2 4 4 4 3 3 3.

Then I performed some calculation on subsets of x defined by this factor
using by(x, factor, function).

I then converted the result from the list obtained to a data.frame, and
from this data.frame I copied one column into my original data.frame.
The point I apparently missed was that the list obtained using "by", was
ordered based on the factor (i.e. 1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,4), and the same
was true for the df I generated from this list.

Thank you for all your input

Karl